Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Brokenness Aside-

Last Saturday evening I was approached by a young girl about my age, her smile felt as though we'd known each other for years. "You're my sisters small group leader, right?" She then proceeded to tell me what impact I had made on her 10 year old sister in the 3 weeks I'd known her- how the realness and vulnerability I shared had got her sister thinking. My recent prayer in small group had been about divorce- I spoke out because I knew that one of my girls had to be going through the same thing if not already been through it. Low and behold this little one heard my soft-spoken request and though she didn't reside in a home divided by divorce, she told her sister, "I can't imagine how my leader can be here for us when she's going through that." The girl who approached me thanked me for talking about real life and told me that her sister really looked up to me. Upon hearing that, my heart overflowed. Working with 5th and 6th graders, there has been very little response, though I've been real with my girls every week, real in conversations, real in prayer and real in speaking truth about who they are. I am so encouraged that one of my girls recognized the Lord- that she heard and saw the power God has to heal, to give strength in weakness and to love even when it is painful. And my little 10 year old is so right- I can't imagine how I could be there for them either, if it wasn't for my constant soaking up and soaking in the redemption and love that has been freely given to me in such abundance.

Having conversations like that remind me why it is so important to be who we are, where we are- unashamed of the messiness, hurt and brokenness of our lives. So many times I've wished to be the product of a less complicated life but I'm growing into my messy skin, the stretch marks from growing pains and repairing of relationships. I am thankful that despite that, I still, each day am called again and again to ministry- called to truth and young people.

So, in turn, I've been looking into colleges where I can finish off my degree in something ministry related. I'd love, love, love to attend Moody Bible Institute but unfortunately I still feel called to the Northern Virginia area- a calling I've been trying to decipher for the last year (thats a whole different post.) But on the bright side there is a campus in Woodbridge that is out of Valley Forge Christian College that offers a degree in Ministry. I've got an appointment this Monday with admissions to talk about what it would like to attend in the spring. We will see what happens!

In the meantime, I have reconnected with an amazing gathering that happens weekly, which has off the hook worship and honest, real life talk. I forgot how Spirit full and Spirit led that ministry is and just from one service I am already feeling so much more in tune with the Holy Spirit. Tiffany will be moving to Virginia within the next couple of weeks and my heart is so full to live more life with her. We have decided swing dancing is going to be our go to thing and are looking into lessons. I'm digging my new college small group and am excited to grow and learn with this unique group of people. I was invited to a prophetic dance/worship service this weekend and can't wait to see what that will be like. Overall I've gleaned so much from this week, so many of the longings and prayers of my heart have been answered and are being answered. I am incredibly full, basking in the goodness and joy God brings. Despite how dark things are- the pain, confusion and brokenness, I am finding so much freedom and so much joy in this time of suffering.

God takes brokenness aside and makes us so beautiful.

1 comment: